Thursday, July 15, 2010

2009 Best Film Nominee #3- Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire

Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire is a beautiful tragedy about a young woman who is dealt every bad card in the deck, yet still manages to cling to hope and aspire for a better life.  I loved this film for many reasons:  its great acting, great direction, great writing, and, mostly, its heart.  Despite the potentially cliché premise (poor girl from a bad neighborhood is beaten and unloved), the film never flirts with the cliché and is powerfully moving.

The film is delivered from the perspective of our heroine, Precious, and much of her characters’ development occurs without any dialogue and little action.  This seems contradictory- how can a character change without doing or saying anything?  Two ways to make it happen: a good director and good actors.  I’ll start with the direction.  Lee Daniels does a fabulous job of getting the shots and the performance out of a very green, but very talented lead actress, Gabourey Sidibe.  He accomplishes this by effectively taking us into the lead character’s head by using great close-ups on Sidibe matched with what she sees and is thinking (in the form of a voice over).  I am normally skeptical of voice over- I think it is often used to try to gloss over a weak story- but in this film, it is used as it should be and the film would not only be impossible without it, but not nearly as well done.

The other reason this film worked so well and the main reason it had so much heart is the acting.  I could gush this entire blog about it, but I’ll try to confine it to a few sentences.  Sidibe, I touched on, is tremendous; I look forward to following her career.  Mo’Nique delivers one of the most powerful, terrifying, real performances I think I have ever seen.  I went into the film not realizing she was in it, and, only being familiar with her comical exploits, had no idea Precious’ mother was played by Mo’Nique until I saw the credits- she’s that out of character and that good.  The rest of the ensemble was also magnificent, even Mariah Carey in her most glitterless form delivers.

In discussing Blind Side I criticized the film for having a passive main character and referenced Precious as being an example of making it work. Well, here it is.  The writing was fabulous and, despite Precious being so passive and shy she borders on being a mute when the film begins, she drives the story forward.  It took creative screenwriting to do it:  incorporating fantasies, witty voice-overs of Precious’ thoughts, and many seemingly small turning points.  Even more impressive than that, though, scribe Geoffrey Fletcher manages to keep the story fresh and interesting so as to keep our attention throughout Precious’ evolution without falling into the pitfalls of being cliché or over-indulging in pity- both easy to do with this premise. (I don’t want to leave author Sapphire out. Although I haven’t read her book nor do I know the dynamics of Fletcher’s adaptation, I have no doubt many of my compliments are attributable to her and her great novel.)

With such a glowing review, you must be wondering why I only have Precious ranked 3 at this point. Well, it’s out of no fault of the film.  Ultimately, I just felt the other two films were better, for reasons I’ll address in the next two blogs.  If I were to critique Precious, though, it would mainly just be about the premise.  The story has been done and told before- not in this way, but it isn’t a new concept.  The themes of the film are not new and the story is one that feels familiar. I didn’t leave the film thinking, “Wow, that’s like nothing I’ve ever seen before.”

That critique aside (which I really had to dig for), Precious is a fantastic film and a must see.  Despite its gloomy premise and potential, the story shines with heart as this downtrodden character refuses to submit to her cruel fate, and she doesn’t do it with fanfare, but through silent strength.  It is moving and I know I left the theater counting my blessings.

Scale: 

1-  Lots of Better Movies at Blockbuster   
2-  Might Be Worth Renting
3-  Rent It When You Get to It
4-  A Must Rent, at some point
5-  Put It in Your Queue NOW!

My Rating: 4.5

Buy Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire




    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Three things.

1. Stay on topic
2. Do not insult other commenters or the author.
3. Debate is good, but don't resort to name calling, and stay on topic!